Saturday, May 11, 2013

New Twist on an "Old" Lesson

Anyone else do the Klimt sleeping baby lesson?  The one where the students draw lines first (to be the quilt), then add the sleeping face, and patterns in the spaces of the quilt?  I've done it many times, and in several different ways: all drawn, with a collaged face, marker/crayon patterns, crayon resist patterns. . . .this year, I decided to add a small printmaking element:

 
I only have six or eight of the patterned rollers, so we really had to take turns in our classes of 24.  We used printing ink and ice cream tub lids (because I can't afford real bench hooks).  HUGE hit, and I love the way they turned out:


 
 
This time, I had them draw the face first, then the lines for the quilt (in pencil, then traced in Sharpie).  It was just a simple crayon/watercolor resist for the quilt, with crayon for the face.  Then we did our printing with the brayers, cut out our sleeping selves and viola!
 



They look so great hanging in our halls :-)


4 comments:

  1. These are darling! Thanks so much for the detailed step-by-step instructions. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for following! I hope this blog is beneficial to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out really cute! I bet they do look great in the halls! I'm a new follower too!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Jenn! I'm so happy to have you following my little blog!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It